Apr 9, 2009

Beef and Bean Chimichangas

Ok, these were so good! When Brady watched me making them, he kept saying "yuck, I am not eating that! I'm gonna have a sandwich or something" I told him he had to try it and then we'd see. Well, he loved them! This totally trumps this recipe in my opinion...easier, tastier (or same, but better in my kids opinion), and healthier...no frying!

here is the original recipe (picture from allrecipes.com)
here is how I made them after reading some of the other reviews

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 7oz can diced chilies
1 cup whole kernel corn
3/4 cup green chili enchilada sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 tablespoon butter, melted
shredded lettuce
1 tomato, diced (I used salsa)
avocado mashed with salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste
green onions

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease, and add the onion, chilies, and corn. Cook for about 5 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the sauce, and season with chili powder, garlic salt and cumin, stirring until blended. Cook until heated through, then remove from heat, and set aside.
Open the can of beans, and spread a thin layer of beans onto each of the tortillas. Spoon the beef mixture down the center, and then top with as much shredded cheese as you like. Roll up the tortillas, and place them seam-side down onto a baking sheet. Brush the tortillas with melted butter.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Serve with lettuce and tomato.

Notes:
* I served over the lettuce and topped with sour cream, salsa, "guacamole", and green onions
* I only cooked half, and you can freeze the others. When you're ready to eat them take them out of the freezer, pop in the microwave to defrost some then brush with butter and bake as normal. Good if you're family is smaller ;). A suggestion on allrecipes was use the smaller tortillas and make mini appetizers.
* Meat mixture can be made up to 24 hours in advance.

1 comment:

Shantel said...

We made this recipe and really enjoyed it. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails