I really do this by look and taste. These are estimated amounts.
4-6 potatoes (russet)
Scrub potatoes thoroughly, pat dry, and prick with a fork. I rub butter flavored shortening and a bit of salt on them and bake on a cookie sheet. This helps the skins be a bit crisper not to mention taste pretty good if you like to eat them. If you want soft skins wrap in foil.
Bake at 425 for 40-60 minutes till tender.
Now I let them cool a bit, then slice in half lengthwise and remove potato "pulp", leaving a thin layer of potato on the skin, and put in a bowl. Put skins back on the cookie sheet to be filled in a minute.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
Milk (optional)
shredded cheddar cheese
Mash the potato pulp with a masher or mixer on low speed. Add butter, when its melted and incorporated I add the sour cream, garlic salt, and salt and pepper to our liking...sometimes I have to add a bit of milk to get the texture I want...creamy. We like ours smooth, others may like it with some lumps...your choice.
Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes. You want them heated through. Then the last couple minutes you can top with cheese
No comments:
Post a Comment